23 January, 2009

ついに私は日本に着いた!



Finally in Japan!
After about three trips to the NYC consulate to get my visa, and endless searching for guidebooks on Osaka, and of course after a 14 hour flight, I have reached my final destination.  The flight was alright, despite the fact that I sat next to a 21 month old named Mason whose mother spent the whole flight keeping him from playing with everything in sight.  I think the funniest thing he did was when he kept popping open a toothbrush case that opened in the center, so that the toothbrush would go flying somewhere and the mother would have to retrieve it.  He did this like 6 times. 
 So far, I've had no trouble doing much of anything, especially since my hotel is physically in the airport.  My first meal here in Japan was rather perfunctory; I s
aw a マクルドナルド (that's Macdonald's for all you noobs)  and bought a hamburger for ¥100.  I also indulged in some hot royal milk tea from a vending machine outside the Lawson in Kansai International Airport, which is also where my hotel is.  The airport here is a lot nicer than any other in the states.  There's a wonderful range of foods (from 10 gyoza for ¥300 to upscale sushi bars) and a total shopping experience (forget dute-free, I'm headed to Hermes and Ferragamo... what recession?).
Right now, I am watching the television and there is a program about popular music where various musicians perform.  I saw HY, Gackt, some cute female R&B artist, and the Teriyaki Boyz.  So far, I'm having a grand time!
This is the view from my hotel window.  It is a landing strip, and I frequently saw plans and there.  It was scary the first time and then just cool after that.

4 comments:

Dylan said...

hi anna, enjoy your time in japan~ i just got home a few days ago from kyoto. i had a blog too: http://winterterminjapan.blogspot.com

if you go to kyoto, and want to check out some cool spots that are outside of the normal tourist loop, a great website is www.deepkyoto.com

this picture is from osaka - heh - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2Dym76kmJqc/R0JgHpdC61I/AAAAAAAAAMc/OSXacZeqU1A/s1600-h/DSC00758.JPG

Unknown said...

what was on your マク burger

Siena said...

I can't wait to be drinking milk tea all the time... see you in a few days!!!

bosco said...

hey baby, I'm on..........love you lots